Al-Hussein Technical University (HTU) has built its strategy for the technical education to be uniquely positioned to respond fully to the employer needs. Accordingly, the School of Construction Technology and Built Environment follows Pearson BTEC (Business and Technology Education Council) qualifications and standards.
Departments and Programs:
The School has two Departments. These are:
- Department of Architectural Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
The programs in Architectural and Civil Engineering are designed to be a showcase for learning by doing and to help students acquire knowledge, skills and behaviors needed to succeed in the workplace. Such programs represent the latest professional standards and provides opportunities for students to develop behaviors for work, undertake projects, or respond to client needs.
The purpose of the programs in Architectural and Civil Engineering is to prepare students as professional, self-reflecting individuals who are able to meet demands of employers in the Architectural and Civil Engineering and to adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them. These programs provide:
· A range of general and special units, both core and optional, each with a clear purpose, so there is something to suit each student’s choice of program and future progression plans.
· Fully-revised content that is closely aligned with the needs of employers, professional bodies, vendors and higher education for a skilled future workforce.
· Learning outcomes mapped against professional body standards and vendor accreditation requirements, where appropriate.
· Assessments and projects chosen to help students progress to the next stage.
· Support for student and tutors including schemes of work and sample assessment materials.
· To equip students with the technical skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the construction and the global construction technology and built environment engineering sectors.
· To provide education and training for a range of careers in Architectural and Civil Engineering.
· To provide students with an understanding of the emerging building materials and construction techniques, and prepare them to work with these materials and techniques.
· To provide insight and understanding into diversity of roles of the civil and architectural engineers, recognizing the importance of collaboration at all levels.
· To equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organizations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values.
· To provide opportunities for students to enter and progress in employment in Architectural and Civil Engineering, or progress to postgraduate education qualifications.
· To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives.
· To support students to understand the local, regional and global context of the construction industry and, for those students with a global outlook, to aspire to international career pathways.
· To provide students with opportunities to address contemporary issues facing the construction industry, and society; with particular emphasis on sustainability and the environment, recognizing the role that architectural engineers play in addressing these issues.
· To provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally recognized professional qualification within their chosen area of specialization.
· To provide opportunities for students to achieve vendor accredited certifications.
· To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field, with particular emphasis on achieving management-level positions, professional recognition and beyond.
· To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs.
· To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
· To provide students with real opportunities to practice their knowledge and skills while studying in one-year industry-recognized scheme that align with their employer’s needs and their own career aspirations.
· To provide students with the context in which to consider professional ethics and their relation to personal, professional and statutory responsibilities within the industry. initiate and carry out projects, make decisions in complex and unpredictable contexts and identify viable solutions to problems
· To enable students to apply their knowledge and practical skills in the workplace.
· To enable students to carry out a major project which allows them to develop and agree a research proposal within a vocational context and use established research and analysis techniques to critically evaluate their arguments, assumptions, concepts and data.
Department of Architectural Engineering
The architectural engineering programs at HTU aim to prepare students as professional, self-reflecting individuals who are able to meet demands of employers in the construction industry and the built environment sectors and to adapt to a constantly changing world. Studying Architectural Engineering at HTU, you will gain extensive knowledge of design processes, construction methods, environments, materials and the latest technologies. You will be able to analyze existing design as well as create new ones, while keeping buildability, technology, procurement, contractual relations and the people involved in the process in mind. You will also explore the social, regulatory, technical, sustainable and aesthetic context of Jordan and the region. As an architectural engineer, you will be the technical member of the design and/or construction team, making sure that designs are buildable, durable, sustainable, economical and easy to maintain.
Intermediate University Degree 1 - Technician: 76 Credit Hours
* Construction: CAD Operator, Construction Site Foreman
* Building Engineering Systems: Building Maintenance and Repair
Intermediate University Degree 2 – Technical Engineer: 136 Credit Hours
* Architectural Technology: BIM Operator / Manager, Assistant Design Coordinator, Architect Inspector
* Construction Management: BIM Operator / Manager, Construction Site Supervisor
* Building Engineering Systems (HVAC & Electrical): BIM Operator / Manager, HVAC Systems Assistant Designer & Installer, Lighting & Acoustics Systems Assistant Designer & Installer
Bachelor Degree – Architectural Engineer: 170 Credit Hours
* Architectural Technology
* Construction Management
* Green Buildings
* Architectural Conservation
* Parametric Architecture
* Architectural Design & Consultations
* Project Manager
* Project Planner
Department of Civil Engineering
The civil engineering programs at HTU aim to prepare students as professional, self-reflecting individuals who are able to meet demands of employers in the civil engineering sectors and to adapt to a constantly changing world. This program provides students with a solid foundation in the fundamental knowledge and troubleshooting skills of civil engineering. Studying Civil Engineering at HTU, you will be prepared for work in the construction industry as well as in the business and management sectors. You will be involved in realistic projects from design stage to construction and competition. As a civil engineers, you will work in a fast-moving, challenging and rewarding profession.
Intermediate University Degree 1 - Technician: 72 Credit Hours
* Construction Engineering: CAD Operator, Construction Site Foreman, Building Maintenance and Repair
* Infrastructure Engineering: CAD Operator, Land Surveyor
Intermediate University Degree 2 – Technical Engineer: 132 Credit Hours
* Construction Engineering: Assistant Design Coordinator, Construction Site Supervisor
* Infrastructure Engineering: BIM Operator, Quantity Surveyor
Bachelor Degree – Civil Engineer: 166 Credit Hours
* Structural Engineering: Structural Engineering Design, Civil Engineering Design, Project Manager
* Infrastructure Engineering: Infrastructure Engineering Design, Structural Engineering Design, Civil Engineering design, Project Manager
* Construction Engineering: Design & Build Coordinator, Construction Site Manager, Construction Planning Manager